Kids love to climb. We love kids. And we love to see kids climbing. It's hard to find an activity that is as well-balanced as rock climbing - it requires mental composure, technical skill, and physical fitness. We have taught a lot of kids how to rock climb, and now The Rock Dump has exciting programs that will help your kids find their passion in rock climbing.
The Rock Dump hosts “toddler time” Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. Come for visit and let your kids run around, play, and/or climb on small holds. There is no charge for this time, children must be in the company of an adult, and while there will be small climbing holds and play areas appropriate for toddlers to climb, the roped climbing routes will not be available for use.
Toddler Time basics
- Location: The Rock Dump, 1310 Eastaugh Way (out Thane Road), 586-4982
- Climb team meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00-7:30 pm
- Time: T/W/Th between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm.
- Cost: FREE
The home school class is an 8-class series that covers the basics of indoor rock climbing, including equipment and knots, safety, basic climbing technique, and belaying. Participants will finish with a sound understanding of the basic aspects of indoor rock climbing -- the foundation for a lifetime of fun and excitement. Popular with Raven, IDEA, and HomeBridge students!
Home school series basics
- 8-class series, $200
- Includes one free month pass when you finish!
- Wednesdays from 1:30-3:00 pm
Our flagship kids program, the youth climb team is a structured program for your up-and-coming climber. Depending on your child's age, goals, and ability, we develop a climbing curriculum and training plan that keeps climbing fun, week after week. We have four competitions per year for the kids to prepare for, and the youth team always surprises us with how well they do.
Motivated climbers will learn advanced climbing techniques and competition training methods, and will have the opportunity to travel to a regional climbing competition each year.
Youth climb team basics
- $80/month includes 2 lessons per week and gym membership
- Gym membership for unlimited climbing outside classes
- Drop-in cards available ($25/session includes rental shoes)
The weekend team is targeted toward kids who want to build up their basic skills before committing to the climbing team. Our Saturday practice is a fun, friendly environment, and is a good way to try out climbing and learn a little more about the sport before joining the big team. Regular team climbers are welcome to drop in for extra training too, so there will be some friendly faces when your climber steps up to the weeknights!
Weekend team basics
- $25 per session, includes rental shoes
- Rock climbing instruction for beginners
- Build your skills to team-level, then join the Rock Dump Climb Team!
Three times per year, we open the gym to high school students for free climbing right after school. The club meets three times per week for two weeks, and students simply need to show up with their current student ID and a signed liability waiver from their parents.
High school climbing club basics
- Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 4:00-6:00pm
- Sessions in October, January, and April
- High school students are free with student ID
- Must bring liability waiver signed by parent/guardian
Freshman are free at the Rock Dump! That's right, if you are a high school Freshman, you get to use the Rock Dump free ALL SCHOOL YEAR. 14-year-olds can finally belay each other, so it is a great time to get serious about rock climbing.
Freshman passport program basics
- FREE climbing for high school freshmen
- Deal valid during the normal school year
- Students must bring current class schedule or other proof of freshman status
- Climbers must have a liability waiver signed by parent/guardian
The Rock Dump is famous for its birthday parties. A party at the Rock Dump is something your kids will be talking about for weeks before and after! Parties include the party balcony, the big TV in the lobby, gym climbing and equipment, and basic instruction for climbers and belayers.
- $150 for up to 10 climbers, $5 per climber after that
- 3 hours of climbing and party space
- Parents are encouraged to belay
- Rock Dump belayers can be hired for $30/hour
- Overnighters start at $650
Twice a year, the Rock Dump runs kids day camps. Our summer camp ran in June of this year and was a blast! Our next camp will be spring break camp, 2013. Email us today to sign up!
We have a Boy Scouts metit badge program, and a handful of scouts have already earned their merit badges at the Rock Dump! The program is six hours of intensive training and practice to complete the Boy Scouts of America requirements for the climbing merit badge.
Parents' night out basics
- $80 per scout, includes all equipment
- Six hours of instruction
Family members add-on to monthly memberships for only $25 per person.
Don't let anyone tell you that the Rock Dump is too expensive to bring your family. Mondays kids climb for $5 with free rentals! And kids under 5 are ALWAYS $5 at the Rock Dump.
We offer private lessons for kids who want special training or for those whose schedule does not work with our other class offerings. All lessons are taught by climbers with years of experience and who love kids. Rock Dump staff can work with you to schedule something that works for you and your kids!
Private lessons basics
- $45/hour for the first student
- $20/hour for additional students, up to 3
- Can be scheduled any time depending on staff availability